The al-4 Subcompact Line utilizes advanced technologies to extract unparalleled performance from an ultra-compact and highly scalable package. With cutting-edge technologies such as a beryllium compression driver, Kevlar/Neo LF transducers, and precision amplification and DSP, the highly scalable al-4 system brings pristine sound quality and coveted line array performance to more applications than ever before.
- Each al-4 Subcompact Line Array System “block” includes eight al-4 acoustic elements and a single V4 Systems Engine
- Scalable by adding or removing al-4 acoustic elements or combining multiple al-4 blocks
- Optional flying, ground stack and pole-mount accessories available
The al-4 Line Array System is made up of the al-4 Acoustic Element and the rack mount V4 Systems Engine, which provides amplification, DSP and system control for up to 8 elements. The system is sold in standard blocks, with eight al-4 Acoustic Elements and a single V4 Systems Engine comprising a single block. Multiple al-4 blocks can be combined to address larger applications.
Unlike other compact line array systems that have a fixed vertical coverage, the al-4 functions more like full-scale line array systems, with the vertical coverage limited only by the number of elements in the array rather than by the physical limitations of the cabinet design. This flexibility allows al-4 rental inventory to serve a variety of uses. From small “one-man” shows to more demanding productions, scaling up or down is simply a matter of adding more elements to the array.
For applications where extended low frequency is required, the al-4 is fully compatibility with a variety of VUE subwoofers. Flexible rigging options allow flying, ground stacking, and pole mounting on stands or atop VUE subwoofers.
- al-4 elements make it easy to scale al-4 arrays for various applications (one rental inventory serves a variety of applications)
- Fly up to 16 al-4 elements from a single flybar
- 90° horizontal coverage angle per al-4 element
- VUE-designed 1-inch exit neodymium compression driver with Truextent® beryllium diaphragm
- VUE-designed dual 4-inch Kevlar cone neodymium woofers
- Compact and lightweight – each al-4 element is 18.9 x 5.5 x 10.3 inches (W x H x D) and 18 lbs.
The ultra-compact al-4 element utilizes an M-T-M (LF-HF-LF) configuration for symmetrical horizontal consistency with two 4-inch Kevlar cone neodymium woofers flanking a precision-engineered, 1-inch exit neodymium compression driver featuring a Truextent® beryllium diaphragm. Beryllium technology allows the compression driver to deliver dramatic improvements in HF extension and response linearity that simply cannot be matched by traditional aluminum or titanium designs. The beryllium compression driver is mounted to a precision waveguide delivering 90° of horizontal coverage and 10° of vertical coverage when measured as a single unit.
All three transducers are housed in a rugged birch plywood enclosure protected by a 12-step Dura-Coat LX finish. Integrated flying hardware allows quick assembly of arrays of up to 16 elements per flybar. Rear panel I/O includes NL4 Input and Loop connections for easy daisy-chaining of line array elements.
- LF 1600W x 2 sine wave - HF 550W x 2 sine wave
- 64-bit digital processing including EQ, time alignment, crossover management, and speaker protection
- Ultra-premium converters provide 118 dB of dynamic range
- Input Delay up to 2 seconds per channel
- LCD display for easy user interface
- Mac or PC compatible software control
- Maximum input level of +23dBu for the most demanding applications
- Latency < 1ms (Typical 640 microseconds)
- Compact 2U rack-mount chassis
The compact V4 Systems Engine is a 2-in/4-out configuration providing four discrete channels of amplification with more than enough “oomph” to bi-amp as many as eight al-4 elements.
Inside each V4 chassis are four dedicated amplifiers supplying two channels at 1600W
each for the low frequency, and two channels at 550W each for the high frequency. And that’s clean, pure sine wave power rather than the “peak burst” measurement our competition prefers to use.
In addition to amplification, the V4 Systems Engine also handles all system processing and management functions, including speaker protection as well as system-optimized alignment of EQ, time and crossover functions. Rear panel signal connections include dual XLR and AES/EBU inputs, with a pair of NL4 connectors for loudspeaker outputs.
The V4 Systems Engine ships with networking and remote management capabilities as standard, allowing easy assembly of expanded networks and easy access to each element and/or device on the network through our intuitive SystemVUE software.
Front and rear panel Ethernet ports are fully compatible with standard IP networks. Simply plug in, and the product will automatically recognize and connect to virtually any kind of IP configuration including DHCP based networks, a fixed IP network, or even an ad hoc network (directly connecting to a computer via Ethernet cable). Whatever the configuration, it just works.
The V4 provides an Ethernet “Input” on the front panel and both “Input” and “Loop” connections on back. The loop option allows users to daisy-chain additional devices into the network without the need for individual runs from the system switch to each device.
To ensure network reliability, the Ethernet ports on the V4 can detect power interruptions and automatically switch to a pass-through position in the event of a local failure. This ensures that the larger network remains functional even if a single node fails or loses power.
SystemVUE software connects VUE devices and networks to Windows or Macintosh computers via a wired or wireless Ethernet connection. SystemVUE software provides access to entire networks as well as individual devices for the purpose of optimizing key parameters such as speaker protection, input/output levels, volume, mute, delay and even input sources. Via the SystemVUE software, users can easily customize the V4 Systems Engine for use with a wide variety of unique al-4 configurations, or update the unit to function with future VUE al-Class arrays.
- Optional road case for touring or portable applications holds four al-4 elements and a single flybar
- U-bracket can accommodate up to four al-4 elements mounted on stands or pole-mounted atop VUE subwoofers
- Ground stacking kit enables ground-based arrays built using VUE subwoofer
Truextent BerylliumBeryllium-based compression drivers deliver significantly better sonic performance than aluminum or titanium thanks to beryllium's extremely high stiffness-to-mass ratio, which dramatically reduces mechanical deformation (breakup), and shifts resonant frequencies above the audible range. This unique ability ensures a more defined high frequency output at higher SPLs than more conventional materials. Read more about Truextent beryllium